There are still a few days left in January, so that means there’s still plenty of time to make resolutions…right?!
While attending a fun after-work event for young professionals a couple of weeks ago, I started thinking about everything I want to do in the Windy City this year.
Now, I know haven’t exactly been Chicago’s biggest fan, but during the one-and-a-half years that I’ve been here, the city has really grown on me. So it’s time to take it up a notch and truly take advantage of all that Chicago has to offer!
1. Visit the beach. This “resolution” is actually left over from last year. Despite recently moving within walking distance of Lake Michigan, I’ve yet to step foot in it (on the Illinois side). Sandcastles, here I come!
2. Explore new neighborhoods. I absolutely love my neighborhood, everything I need is within walking distance (cupcakes, Wal-mart, margaritas…what more do you need?). But it’s time I venture beyond Lakeview/Lincoln Park and get to know some of Chicago’s other awesome neighborhoods, such as Hyde Park.
3. Try new restaurants. Chicago is truly a foodie’s paradise (believe me, I follow at least 20 local eateries and food-related accounts on Instagram). But my kryptonite is falling in love with a restaurant and going there ALL. THE. TIME! Not in 2015. This will be the year I discover at least five new favorite places to eat.
4. Finally visit the Field Museum. Admittedly, I’m a nerd and I get genuinely excited about visiting museums. I’ve frequented both the Shedd Aquarium and the Art Institute, but I still haven’t been to the Field Museum. It’s time to meet, SUE the T. Rex.
5. Don’t hibernate in the winter. I survived my first Chicago winter and the polar vortex last year, but my social life (along with my weight) suffered. This year, I’m not going to let a little snow (okay,sometimes it’s a lot of snow…or subzero temperatures) get in my way of having fun.
What are your favorite things to do in Chicago? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter at @LTintheCity!